Thursday, March 1, 2018

All in 4k

So recently I changed my setup:


  • minus: Epson TW4400 projector
  • minus: Sony KDL42W705b
 
  • plus: Sony KD55XE9005

So I replaced the two FullHD display with one 4K. The projector was not in use at all.

So my basic setup is now:

  •     Sony KD55XE9005
  •     ATV 4K (connected directly to TV HDMI2 port)
  •     Denon AVR 3811 (connected to ARC TV HDMI3 port)
  •     PC (plexserver and gaming) (connected to TV HDMI1 port)
  •     Satellite Receiver (connected to AVR, but barely used, mostly headless)


So the new display I must say is giving me a lot of fun. The home-cinema feeling has gone a bit ... but not only because of the 4K the display performance is better and brighter. HDR is a huge point here. To get a bit of cinema atmosphere I can get closer to the TV :-)

One downside on the TV is the operating system. It doesn't cause me to much trouble as the OS as such, since I don't use it. 99% of the time the ATV is just connected to HDMI2 and all good. Since I cut the cord on power every night the downside is actually the booting time, but this is also manageable. It is more like the projector which needed time as well before displaying content ...

One more thing:

I always had Logitech or similar programmable remote control. That is history now too.

Due to CEC in may case everything is controlled via the ATV remote and it works excellent. Even when powering up everything that is very smooth (during power up of the TV it switches not the display on, when finished with the power up, for a very short time the receiver powers up and down and that is it.

From this state I just press Menu on the ATV remote and every thing starts and switches to correct inputs.

On the other hand if I send the ATV to sleep everything powers down. Perfect!

Apps currently installed:

Plex (will go ...)
Infuse (will Plex soon)
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Sky Ticket (well ...)
VUPlayer (receiving TV content from the SAT-box)
WakeOnLan (to wakeup a NAS or PC)

Some other (MLB App, Youtube) but nothing I use often.

So again, very satisfied with the setup.

No just waiting for the plexification ... I registered for beta.


No comments:

Post a Comment