Friday, October 30, 2015

Updates Q4 2015

 There are some news ...

1) I never gave a try to the ROKU box ... since this is not straight forward here in Germany. Ordering, powering ... everything is nasty. But of cause there would be ways and solutions to make it. Funnily the Pay TV service SKY just also offered some streaming based setup box (traditionally the come to your TV via satellite or cable) and guess what: They use the ROKU hardware. From what I have heard they made it a bad experience. SKY has a talent for this. Pay TV is a mess here ... but I guess it is as well on the planet ...


2) The New Apple TV is out ... Tata ... remember my wishes?

  • open it up a little bit, so that e.g. third party like KODI can be installed on
    OK that was a joke ... :-)
  • support 24p
     NOPE
  • support automatic frame rate switching between 24p/50p/60p 
    NOPE
  • perfect Plex App
      I don't have it, so I cannot say anything ... but I think it changed not too much regarding to my basic rant, trans-coding will still be needed to get the movie played on the apple TV


3) I bought a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B 1GB

Why did this happen since I mentioned earlier not to go this direction. Mainly this is due to this product:

http://www.msldigital.com/

The RemotePi board at least solves one problem I had with it in the past. I does help to power on and off by using a remote and that was exactly what I wanted.

The OS image I have chosen was the rasplex image (www.rasplex.com). My first tests with it are quite promising. The auto-framerate switching is working as expected. Plex and Rasplex unfortunately to not support ISO playback. That is one short-come ... and still didn't make its way to my home. So is still in the testing phase.


4) The updated FireTV2 is also free to the marked ... but 4k is not of interested for me (currently). And the mess remains ... even with the FireOS 5 there is no progress with the frame rates. Unofficially there are some hidden ways to activate 24p ... but I dare to say that is also failing. I did install the beta-FireOS5 to my FireTV box. It wasn't a leap to the better. Sorry amazon. I think the box will not stay in my equipment.


No comments:

Post a Comment